11.05.2013

Chief

My Kylee is SUCH a chief.  While I embrace her independence and her confidence, she can come across as a teensy bit bossy.

For example, the other day we ran into some friends who I used to babysit.  The son's given name is Kaden, but he much prefers to be called Kade.  The mom was talking about basketball and said, "Kade's season just started, actually-" when Kylee interrupted saying, "His name is Kad-en.  Kaden.  Not Kade". She was essentially correcting the mother about the name of her own child.

Kylee often corrects me around here and evidently I let it slide way too often.  We had to have a quick conversation about how it's not always appropriate to correct adults.  Kylee had some valid points and questions but in the end she just likes to be right.  Then I heard these words come out of my mouth, "Kylee, you're a chief.  There's just no getting around it.  You like to be right and you like to be in charge, and you're good at it.  But you have to learn to be the kind of chief that people want to follow."

And that really got me thinking.  I, too, have been guilty of always having to be right and liking to be in charge.  But am I the kind of chief that people want to follow or more importantly am I the kind of mom that the kids want to listen to? Or do I just walk around waving my, "I'm the mom and I'm right and I'm in charge" wand expecting them to listen without having a voice of their own?

I'm not a big believer in horoscopes and Zodiac signs and all that but for some reason we got to talking about it yesterday and Kent and I were dying at how spot-on Kylee's was.  So evidently it's written in the stars that Kylee is the way she is.  Here's what I found:

(http://zodiac-signs-astrology.com/zodiac-signs/leo.htm)

Leo Strength Keywords:

- Confident
- Ambitious
- Generous
- Loyal
- Encouraging

Leo Weakness Keywords:

- Pretentious
- Domineering
- Melodramatic
- Stubborn
- Vain

"Leo is very independent but they need something to control..."

"Their enthusiasm attracts people, Leos are social butterflies, not because they want to be but because people always naturally gravitate and surround the Leo."


Most likely Kylee will keep on being a chief, which I happen to love about her.  I think we could both use a lesson on how to be the kind of chief that people want to follow.  How about you? What's your zodiac say about you?

No comments: