8.21.2013

Thankful Thursday

I'm thankful to be back on a routine.

I'm thankful for the children I babysit.  Not only are they well-behaved, respectful children, but they really hold each other accountable.  The other night when Kael thought he didn't have homework, the two girls in his class who come here after school reminded him that he did have homework.  I love this little community we're building and am thankful for how they look out for each other.

I'm thankful for each day that Kase goes to sleep without serious injury.  He's a maniac lately! And I mean that in the best way possible.  He is all boy- climbing, jumping, running.  Turn your back for a second and you're bound to find him on Kael's top bunk, leaning over the railing.

I'm thankful for the (sort of) calm before the storm.  Before we know it, Kael will be having a soccer game and a football game every weekend, four practices a week and Kylee will be starting gymnastics. I like the busy-ness, I really do.

I'm thankful that some of our family has begun to make preliminary Christmas plans.  I love to know which dates we're going which places, even if it is only August.  Control freak, much? You betcha.

I'm thankful for little moments with Kase.  Like how he "helps" me water the plants and trees in the backyard (conveniently while Kylee is at recess so we can wave at her).  And how we always share Wheat Thins and Laughing Cow sitting on the bar stools together at about 9:00 every morning.  This is the only time I allow him to get on the bar stools and you should see how proud of himself he is. Such a big kid, he thinks. And I like how we walk together every afternoon to the mailbox then come home and water the flowers in the front.  And how every day he digs his little chubby fingers in the mud and tries to eat it, then I make a big, fake, goofy deal of it then spray him down with the hose while he collapses in a fit of giggles.  I hope I forever remember how he is right now.

I'm thankful for Kylee's independence.  I walked her to her room the other day (it hasn't even been a full week of school yet, folks) and she gave me a happy smile and said, "Mom, you can go now.  I know how to get my folder out of my backpack and hang it up.  I'll be fine."  I guess no more following to her room.  This mama's going to have to say good-bye at the front door from now on.  And she'll be just fine.

I'm thankful for Back To School Night in Kael's room last night.  The teacher he has this year is just out-of-this world amazing.  I anxiously look forward to seeing a ton of growth from Kael this year!

Happy Thursday, guys!

***I'm thankful for a friend who e-mailed me to tell me I was a day early on the Thankful Thursday post.  I tried to schedule it to post tomorrow but must have messed up somehow.  Oops! Thanks Kimber! :)

No comments: