2.08.2012

On being pregnant

My heart skipped a beat. "Um, what did you say?" I asked my OB to repeat herself.

"I'll see you in two weeks," she repeated.  I thought that's what she had said. "You are in your third trimester now, Laura" she said smiling. 

Oh.  So now we're on to two week appointments instead of four week appointments.  Baby's official due date is only two and a half months away. How did that happen? (Pregnant) moms with older children, did you find that this happened to you too? You kept telling your kids that even though they're so excited to meet the baby, he won't actually be here for a very long time? Then all of the sudden it was a very short time?

Upon hearing this news I did the obvious- I drove straight to Massage Heights and scheduled the 90 minute maternity massage that Kent had bought me for Christmas.  No way was I going to chance that puppy going to waste. :) I had been saving it until the very end of my pregnancy, figuring I'd appreciate it most the farther along I was.  One of my girlfriends had her baby last week and even though I am not quite 30 weeks along, seeing her baby made me feel like my baby is coming.  Soon.

I should have paid more attention because there are some definite signs it's getting closer.  For example, I've started chewing ice. I was looking at Kylee's baby book the other day and there was a section for "mom ate...." and I had written "crushed ice". Lately I've had no appetite but have been chomping ice like it's my job.

This pregnancy is so different than my first two because Kael and Kylee are old enough to "get" it.  They're also old enough to keep me too busy to let myself be consumed with all things relating to pregnancy/baby. (Because you know I could lose myself on Pinterest looking at cute baby photo ideas, ways to decorate baby's room...oh how I love thinking about all this stuff again!) It is such a blessing going through this pregnancy and having them constantly feeling my belly, talking to my belly, and things like that.  There's a saying about shared grief is half the grief but shared joy is double the joy (I'm not sure that's an exact quote...) but I feel like this pregnancy is quadruple the joy.  It's not just Kent and I that get to be excited- we have Kael and Kylee to be excited with us. 

Years ago I would have guessed that I would have three children, all about two to three years apart.  I didn't plan for this one to be four and a half years younger, but God did.  And I'm so glad I can see that now.  It was His timing, not mine, that was right.  Just exactly, perfectly, right.

Baby we are getting so excited and ready to meet you!
 I find myself daydreaming about what he'll look like, what his personality will be like, what he'll be interested in.  *Sigh.  There's lots to do before he gets here, but I know it will all get done. I've realized that some of the details I thought were so important the first two times around were just that...details. 

So in the meantime, I'll just hurry up and wait. :)

No comments: