5.28.2014

Weekend Wrap-Up

How was your Memorial Day weekend? Ours was...eventful.  And awesome.  Summer is HERE!!!

Friday Kylee had her friend sleep over.  Kent had borrowed a projector from work and we were so excited to show a movie on the "big screen" in the backyard.  Everyone thought it was pretty cool.  I love my techie husband.  




We really had no set plans for the entire weekend- not even a baseball game or anything, so Kent and I had talked and talked about what we might do over the long weekend but failed to make any plans.  His parents were free Saturday afternoon, so after a morning of Dunkin' Donuts and fishing at Georgetown with Kylee's friend, we headed up to Sheffield to my grandparents' A-frame with Keith and Cindy.  We weren't sure the water was going to be warm enough for the kids to swim but they didn't care and hopped right in! We (Kent and Cindy) also caught a bunch of fish which was so fun.







Picnic on the deck!

Nothing makes me happier than watching these two have fun together. 


We came home happy and tired, and still unsure of our plans for the next two days.

Sunday morning we woke up to rainy skies, but we weren't sure if it was going to rain all day.  We thought about going to Adventureland, or maybe just the town pool...and we went back and forth for literally hours.  This is soooo unlike us.  Finally, Kent said, "Start packing! We're leaving!" Thankful for his decisiveness, I jumped to it and started throwing stuff together.  In less than a half hour, we were on the road.

To where? Eastern Iowa! I grew up (K-5) in DeWitt and I thought the kids might have fun seeing my old house, etc. We lunched in the car, Kase napped, and soon we were rolling into town! First stop was the ice cream shop.  Oh my, did I have some happy kids.



I heart this picture so much.



Next we drove by my old house, school, swimming pool, then stopped by a couple of the town parks.



Kent even seemed happy to see where I grew up and indulged every, "Oh I remember that!"  The kids were getting anxious to swim so we forged ahead to Clinton, where our hotel was.  Literally as we were rolling into town, we got a flat tire.  Kudos for Kent to keeping his cool and being able to put the spare on.  Kudos to the kids for grabbing their bags and crossing a busy street with me because we got a flat directly across the street from our hotel.  How lucky! So I checked in, swam with the kids, Kent got the tire fixed and we headed out for dinner.  We drove aimlessly around Clinton for awhile and finally settled on a Mexican restaurant that was awesome.  Back to the hotel to swim once more, then to bed.

Monday morning the kids were up early (surprise, surprise) so we grabbed breakfast at the hotel, swam again, then loaded up and headed to the Maquoketa Caves.  I had no idea how this was going to go over with my crew.  It required a lot of walking and Kael's legs have still been bothering him.  There was a chance of rain.  It could have been a bust but it wasn't.  It was awesome!

Right away, Kael looked down deep in the cave and shouted, "Mom, you have to come here! This is so cool!" And right away, I knew we were going to have fun.








Kase is dying to be like the big kids and crawl through everything, but he wasn't really sure about the water that kept dripping on his head. "Spider getting me, Mommy!" he kept yelling as he rubbed his head with every drop.


This was one of the first ones Kael got all the way through.  He asked, "Mom, can you move this big rock right here?" Lol.  I convinced him to just keep squeezing through as there was no possible way I'd be able to move that giant rock.



Finally Kase goes for it!


Brothers.

We explored all morning before loading up and heading home.  We spent the afternoon playing outside with neighbors and catching up from being gone all weekend.

No comments: