12.25.2011

Our Christmas

This year I wanted to do something different for our little family of four Christmas.  Since Santa brings the bulk of the presents, the kids each open a few gifts from us and a gift from each other. In other words, there are only a few gifts to be unwrapped this night. :)

Doing anything "new" can always be a touchy subject around here so I casually approached the kids with the idea of a Scavenger Hunt.  My, oh my, were they excited.  (I love when I get unanticipated excitement like this!) Kael started making Gift Hunt signs to hang up around the house so that Kent would know what was going on when he got home from work.  The kids helped me write a clue for Kent and hide his presents.

When Kent got home, he was carrying a box full of mysterious gifts, like a sly Santa Claus but the kids didn't even pay any notice. "Dad, Dad!!! We're doing a gift hunt!!!" they exclaimed.  And so began our evening.  The kids were so excited for Kent to find his gifts and kept asking him over and over all night, "Did you like what we got you?" There is no joy greater than the joy of giving at Christmastime.

Kylee went next, then Kael and doing our gifts Scavenger Hunt- style made them anticipate and appreciate each gift more than you can imagine.  Part of it is their age, but I have memories of Christmases past when they simultaneously ripped open their gifts in two minutes and the evening's excitement was over.  It was just really special this year and I know the kids will always remember doing Gift Hunt 2011. :)


Dad found his gifts!

Soon it was my turn for gifts.  Kent and I had promised not to get each other anything but I had a couple gifts from the kids.  When all was said and done, there were still several brightly wrapped packages under our tree.  And they were for me. To say I was surprised would be such an understatement.  Kent got me this wonderful camera and even as I type this I am a bit speechless (which never happens). I am just so thankful for him...I am far too practical to go out and buy big gifts and he outdoes me every.single.year. Now I just have to learn how to use it. :)




Oops, there's three smiley faces I've used so far...I allow myself a three smiley face limit per post so I'd better wrap this up.

After presents we went to church- it was really neat because this year the kids were old enough to each hold their own candle at the end of the service.  I have such powerful memories of candlelight Christmas Eve service from when I was little and I could tell by the look on my kids' faces that they felt the same.  They started intently at the flame, their beautiful faces shining softly in the candlelight.

We came home for our traditional pancakes and sausage.  Kent always makes fun shapes out of the pancakes and the kids decorate them.  This year has to be our best effort to date.  Kylee made an adorable Santa pancake; Kael designed a cute Mickey Mouse one, and after several years of trying we finally perfected the snowman.  We wrapped up our little Christmas by playing Kael's new Uno Roboto game (if you don't have it for your kids, get it! It's so fun!) by the Christmas tree then tucked the kids in bed. 





Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

No comments: