12.24.2011

Fun Bully strikes again

We were about twenty minutes into Christmas break and judging by other comments I saw on Facebook, our story is not an unfamiliar one. 

"I wanna play Wii." Kael said.

"Mom can I watch TV or something?" Kylee added.

It was 3:45 on Thursday afternoon and my babysitting kids had all gone home so it was officially Winter Break for us.  I was so excited- "Let's go to the mall or Bass Pro or something! Or, we could bake Christmas cookies.  What do you guys want to do?" And I was met with the above responses.  I texted Kent.  "Want to go to Jolly Holiday Lights tonight?" I receieved a less than enthusiastic response.  "Um, I guess I'd rather go to Bass Pro if we're going to do anything."

So, I figured, what the heck, it's Winter Break, right? If Kael wants to play Wii and Kylee wanted to watch him, then fine.  Not five minutes later they were arguing so I pulled the plug.  "We're not sitting here the rest of the night staring at the TV and arguing." Fun Bully Laura said. "Let's get out of the house and do something fun."

Finally Kylee showed some enthusiasm about going to Bass Pro, so I figured with her all in and Kent half in, that was probably our best bet.  "Actually I don't really want to go there," Kael said as he teared up. I was hoping for some cute pictures with Santa and he was NOT happy about the idea of changing out of his brown slicks and skateboarding shirt.  I think I pretended not to hear him. 

We picked up Kent from work and he noticed that a headlight was out on our Acadia and that the electical stuff (I'm pretty sure that's the technical term) was not working on the driver's side.  Mostly, from what I could understand, that meant my heated seat would not work.  Awesome.  We pressed on.

We made it to Bass Pro and like a light switch, all of the sudden everyone was in a good mood.  Santa's Wonderland was truly a wonderland. The kids had fun playing with all the remote control cars, watching the trains, decorating gingerbread cookies, and chasing the giant catfish in the aquarium from side to side.  Soon they called our time slot to line up to see Santa and somehow, we were the last ones to see Santa before he took a break.  (I think God knew I might have lost it if the people in front of us would have been last to see Santa before a break.)

The kids were adorable sitting on Santa's lap.  We got a couple of good pictures then headed for home.  Kent picked up Outback take away for me on the way home because sometimes, when you're pregnant and sick, and a teeny bit crabby your husband will do anything to make you happy.  Turns out $20 at Outback can make this lady pretty darn happy. 


"Can I eat both cookies right now?" Kylee asked. 

So happy about the amount of green sprinkles he was allowed to put on his cookie. 

Kael found this $200 train set he is now really hoping Santa will bring.  Wish Santa had known about it more than two days before Christmas. :)





Well, once again, a Winter Break schedule is different than a normal school day schedule and I anticipate that things will not go as perfectly as I have them planned in my head.  But I'm happy with the way our evening turned out, very happy with the cute picture the Bass Pro lady got of the kids, and very very happy there are Outback leftovers sitting in my fridge right now.

1 comment:

mama walker said...

i hear that post times 1000!!