10.10.2011

A Perfect Fall Day

Our Saturdays are tied up with flag football, soccer and Iowa football games. Knowing this, I have a tendancy to be a fun bully squeeze as much fun as possible into our Sunday afternoons. My whining/planning started Saturday afternoon, "Kent it's supposed to be really nice out tomorrow let's do something fun! What do you want to do?" I must have asked him a hundred times.  We threw around a few ideas but mostly I just didn't want to spend the day watching Kent watch football. My mom and I had talked about going to the mall but I declared it too nice out to spend the day indoors.

After church, Kent went to the airport to pick up a rental car and I chatted with my dad.  "Kent doesn't know it yet but I think we're going to the Ledges. I'm going to have a picnic packed by the time he gets home. Do you and Mom want to join us?" My dad responded in true King of Ideas style, "That sounds great.  I'll go home, get my truck, load up the bikes then after the Ledges we can go to Madrid and ride across the High Trestle Trail bridge (something that he's been wanting to do for a long time)." He also picked up KFC for a picnic, saving me the trouble of making sandwiches and such for everyone.

My mom got lots of great pictures but here are a few favorites from the day. 





At the bridge.  Have you been?

Kent's funny.

I was supposed to be eating twist ice cream but there was no vanilla. I made a pouty face but truly I was just thankful for the ice cream stop we made between hiking and riding. Yum!
 You guys, it was The Best Day.  The weather was awesome, the picnic was fun, the hiking and fall colors were amazing, the bike ride was fantastic, and the bridge was breathtakingly beautiful. I honestly can't think of a better way to spend a fall Sunday afternoon- enjoying the outdoors with my family.

No comments: