5.06.2011

Friday Fun

I spent the morning baking a cake for my mom's birthday, crafting some flowers out of foam sheets for a teacher's gift and planting flowers. It's Friday and the sun is shining and I'm in a much better mood so I thought I'd share some fun things I've been up to.














Kael had a long term sub when his teacher had a baby and the sub's last day is today. She was so wonderful and a few of us moms wanted to show how much she was apprecaited. I found this and thought it would be so cool to do! We each picked up a couple gift cards and then we also added a few seed packets in the flower slots I made. Really fun and I know it will be things she can use. Bonus, after the gift cards are gone, she'll still have a lovely plant and I'm sure every time she looks at it she'll think of Kael's class.







Everybody kind of has a "thing". Maybe you're a workout queen, maybe you dig DIY stuff, maybe you love all things crafty...well somehow cake decorating has become my thing. I know I have plenty of room for improvement, but I really enjoy doing it. And even though cake might not be everyone's favorite dessert, I do think people I make cakes for are genuinely honored that I spend the time making/decorating something just for them.







It all started when my sister and I made this cake for Kylee's birthday. Tammy is the one who deserves all the credit here- I baked the cake and was present for the decorating, but the work was mostly hers.







Since Tammy was still living in Ankeny at the time, we were kind of on a cake kick and made this one for my dad. Very appropriate since we celebrated on Superbowl Sunday!








Next, I did this one for my mom on her birthday last year (next week I'll post pictures of the cake I made today) and was really happy with how it turned out. I used a fluffy pudding frosting (recipe courtesy of Tammy) that was delicious!








The kids and I made this cake for my father-in-law who loves baseball. He was a coach for a lot of years and his October birthday was the perfect time to make this cake. You can't see it very well in the picture so I'll describe it: It's a double-layer cake with white frosting and red M & M's for the stitching in the baseball.









Kael's guitar cake this year was one of my favorites. We had that cake at his party at The Playground, but for a family party at the bowling alley, I made these sport themed cupcakes.










My mother-in-law's birthday was just a couple weeks ago and Kylee helped me create this fun cake! It's a 9" cake on bottom with 12 cupcakes stacked on top- all frosted in different colors. The jelly beans were Kylee's idea. :)












Happy Friday everyone!

No comments: