3.13.2014

Thankful Thursday

I'm thankful for Kylee's literal interpretation of a quote I have up in the house. It says, "Make your own sunshine." The other day, Kylee cut and taped big yellow circles (suns) all over our house. "See, Mom? I made my own sunshine!"

I'm thankful for the time change.  After one bad night of terrible sleep, we all seem to be adjusted now and I've even had to wake the kids up for school a couple of times.  And Kase is sleeping past 6:00! Amazing!

I could not be more thankful for Monday's weather. We were outside almost all day and even I didn't want to go in when it was time to start the kids' baths. We all walked him extra slowly from the park- soaking up every last minute of daylight that we could. Wish the warm weather would have stuck around!

I'm thankful for a few fun days hanging out with my mom and my nephew.  You'd think that since she stays home and watches Huston, and I'm home with Kase, and we're in the same town that we'd hang out all the time.  Sadly, not true at all.  It seems like the between the boys' naps, doctors appointments and such, we almost never get together. In the past two weeks, we've been to the mall, Toys R Us and Target together and in addition, we've eaten lunch out (yes, like, at a restaurant, even!) together twice! We've livin' large, folks.  :) Thanks for brightening up our week, Mom!

I'm a little late to the party, I know, but I'm thankful for a stop at PepperJax restaurant in town.  I had never been.  It was delicious.

I'm thankful that our busy season is around the corner.  Winter's fine.  We've kept busy enough with basketball for both big kids, gymnastics for Kylee, several book clubs at the library each month...but I'm ready for the busy-ness that spring brings.  Kylee has her first gymnastics meet coming up, Kael and Kent have Little League starting (which is going to be legit this year, you guys), and not to mention the barrage of birthdays (to refresh your memory we have Kael's birthday, my birthday, my niece's birthday, Kent's mom's birthday, Kase's birthday and my mom's birthday in about a three week time period with Easter in there too).  I've already been excitedly shopping for birthday gifts for the boys and Easter basket stuff for all of them.

I'm thankful that the Spring/Summer Parks & Rec guide came in the mail the other day.  I spent the better part of Kase's nap time geeking out over summer kid programs and super-geeking out trying to plug them all into our family calendar between already standing obligations/sports/vacations.

I'm thankful Kael didn't have to go to Little League player evaluations.  Since Kent is the coach, Kael is, of course, automatically on his team which means that Kael didn't have to be part of the draft.  Admittedly, I'm a little uneasy about player evals and a draft at age 9.  Kent reported that it all went just fine and we're really excited about the team this year.  Kent was able to draft a couple kids he coached last year and (maybe more importantly?) a few of Kael's buddies.

I'm so thankful that when Kent e-mailed his new team, one of the families totally stepped up.  If you've ever volunteered to coach a kids' sports team, you know that half the battle is finding a good assistant coach and finding someone willing to be Team Mom (an often thankless position that deals with organizing team photos, collecting fundraiser packets, etc.)  Well, Kent had drafted a kid that is apparently new to Ankeny, which is the only reason that the dad had not volunteered to be a head coach.  However, he e-mailed Kent saying he's been a head Little League coach for the past 8 years and would love to help out.  His wife also e-mailed Kent volunteering to be Team Mom, a job she's done for the past 8 summers.  In addition, another dad e-mailed Kent volunteering to be a "sheep herder" saying that he didn't feel comfortable coaching, but was more than willing to help keep the boys in line (not an easy task when dealing with eleven 9-10 year old boys). The season hasn't even started and I feel like we are off to a great start.

I'm thankful it's nearly Spring Break! We have a few fun things planned but mostly I'm looking forward to a week of just hanging out.  Crossing my fingers for warm weather.

What are you thankful for today?

No comments: