11.21.2013

Thankful Thursday, an addendum






I am so thankful Kael is ok after a fall at recess yesterday. He almost always plays football at recess but it was too wet in the field so he was on the playground instead.

The school nurse called me and in an incredibly in alarming voice, explained that Kael had fallen at recess. Like a fool I asked, "Do you think I should come get him?" She responded with, "Yes. And you will probably need to head straight to Urgent Care for stitches and then see your dentist about his chipped teeth." So in a mad rush, I call Kent to see if he can help because Kase had just fallen asleep. No answer. I called again and again. Nothing. I really didn't want to wake Kase and have to take one bloodied up boy and his sleep-deprived toddler brother to the emergency room. 

So, Mom to the rescue! She came over to help and I picked up Kael. (I was in such a hurry I didn't even bring him a fresh shirt- poor guy had to wear his blood soaked shirt to the doc and dentist and I didn't even have a coat for him to wear since his other one had blood all over it too...) I practiced my non-reaction the whole way there because I know my tendency is to overreact.  I walked in and saw Kael holding an ice pack to his mouth and I could tell his eyes were red and his nose was kind of scratched up. He slowly moved the ice pack away from his mouth and said, "Hey, Mom" and I could see he was worried. 

I gave a calm smile and said, "Hey, Buddy" and hugged him tightly. But on the inside my mind was racing. "Yikes! His mouth is totally cut up and swollen! His teeth are way more chipped than I was prepared for. Do we really need stitches? Urgent Care or our regular pediatrician? Doctor first or dentist? Will I be home in time to pick up Kylee?"

His teacher joked that Kael really must have wanted to get out of his math test. :) I made the decision to see our pediatrician and Kent was able to meet us there. No broken nose, no concussion, no stitches. Win, win, win. In the waiting room though, I noticed Kael's eyes welling up a bit and I told him that I had chipped my tooth when I was little too. I told him it was ok to be scared but I promised to take care of him. He leaned his head on my shoulder for the first time in a long time.

Off to the dentist who quickly gave him some "new teeth" and seemed very optimistic about it all. Apparently there is no nerve damage, so long as he wears a mouth guard during sports and doesn't eat apples unless I cut them up first, he will be just fine. 

Throughout the whole thing I saw a deeper side of Kael than I usually see. Raw. Tough but worried. In pain but not reacting to it. And I saw a totally neurotypical boy anxious to show off his wounds and new teeth to his class the next day. 

I told him I would remember this day forever. I think he will too. 

A friend brought him orange pop, candy and balloons and I was once again reminded of what a great place we live in.





Kael is as good as new! His teeth look great, and even this morning the swelling has gone down considerably and the cuts on his lip are much better.  I'm so thankful.

No comments: