11.21.2013

Thankful Thursday

I'm thankful that at least Kase liked the chicken and noodles I made last week.  Every time his bowl was empty he held it up to me and said, "More yummy?"

I'm thankful that Kent had a few days off last week and helped me with some Christmas shopping.

I'm thankful I finally cleaned our oven.  For the very first time, I might add.  I am not, however, thankful for the smell it left in our house for days.

I'm thankful that the kids have adjusted to Daylight Savings Time.  I haven't. I can't stop waking up at 4:30 but I am loving being awake early.  A quiet house and a cup of coffee are good for the soul.

I'm thankful (every.single.day) that I stay at home.  On Monday, the school nurse called me about at "distracting cough" that Kael had.  He didn't have a fever or runny nose or anything, but she suggested that I come get him if I could.  While I'm not entirely sure he needed to be sent home from school, I seized the opportunity to make some hot chocolate and turn on a favorite movie with my usually independent 8 year old.

I'm thankful that I haven't yet had to have "The Talk"  (about being autistic) with Kael but I like how this mom approached it- she didn't schedule a time to talk with her son, she just sort of let it happen and waited until he asked about it.  Also love the idea of calling it "a little autism".  Keeping this one in my back pocket until I need it.

I'm thankful I caved and took the kids to Wendy's Night (who are we kidding, they wouldn't have eaten Tortellini Soup anyways, right?).  Kent ended up having to work late so we dropped soup off to him then made our way to Wendy's.  There were so many friends and neighbors there and even a guy making balloon animals.

I'm thankful Kent was working late when we decided to go to Wendy's Night.  Although the kids and I enjoyed seeing friends and eating fast food (a fairly rare occasion) - a hot, crowded place where you had to wait for mediocre food and a bunch of 8 year old boys with balloon swords would have been enough to skyrocket Kent's blood pressure.  I didn't even want to tell Kent that I let Kase dip his fingers in a thing of ketchup and lick it off and then feed himself a Frosty. Kent doesn't love that kind of a mess.

I'm thankful that Kael found a group of friends to sit with at Wendy's.  (I promise this is the last "thankful" comment about Wendy's.) Kylee was sitting in the booth next to me calling out friends' names and waving at them all celebrity-style and I could hear a million kids squealing, "Kylee! Mom, there's Ky-leeeee!!!"  I was so happy for Kael that he took his Bacon Cheeseburger Without Cheese (he gets so mad when I tell him if the cheeseburger has no cheese, it's just a hamburger) and joined a group of boys from his class who were all sitting at a table without their parents.  His cool confidence always impresses me.

I'm thankful Kylee is fast.  The other day I didn't see her out at recess (I don't always look for her every single recess, but when I am home and glance out, she's almost always on the swings.) and I asked her where she had been.  "Oh, sorry, I didn't really want to tell you this because I'm embarrassed, but Caden has been chasing me and trying to kiss me.  He can't catch me though." Oh brother.  I am completely unprepared to be dealing with kindergarten kisses. On another note, I am very thankful that we have an open line of communication and she feels comfortable telling me stuff like this.

What are you thankful for this week?

No comments: