3.08.2012

Thankful Thursday

I'm thankful for a lot today.  It's easy to be thankful for nice weather, cute stories about the kids, kind words from friends....and I am.  I'm thankful for all those things. 

But today, those things pale in comparisson to one.  Today, I'm thankful for my mom.  Because I get it.  I finally get it. "You'll understand when you're a mom." We've all heard those words and then one day it becomes a reality.  You become a mom and you realize how very ungrateful you were during your teenage years.  You start to see how very much you took your own mom for granted.  You understand that as the years go by, you don't need her any less than you did at day one.

My mom does it all.  She's often the first one I call with good news, bad news, and sad news.  Her reactions are always perfect.  She gives great advice when I ask for it and listens quietly when I need her to just be there for me.

My mom stayed home while I was growing up and was always there for me. And not just me- she was there for my friends too.  To this day, I still have friends who, when they come back to town, ask, "Is your mom going to be around? I'd love to see her."  In high school one of my best friends was more excited about coming to my house after a trip to the mall than going to her own house. "Your mom just cares more than mine does.  She always has time to see all the things I want to show her." 

That same friend gave me such a compliment when she said the other day, "I'd rather call you than anyone else when I'm upset about something because you understand that sometimes I don't want advice. I just want someone to listen to me.  You're just like your mom.  She has that same quality and that's why people love to be around her."

People would tell me in high school, "You're going to be just like your mom, Laura." I don't think I ever thought that was a bad thing; I just didn't ever realize how much I'd love to be just like her.  She asks very little of those around her but sacrifices her time and energy at the drop of a hat if someone close to her is in need.  She almost certainly never gets the thanks she deserves. 

So today, I'm thankful for you, Mom.  You're the best!

1 comment:

Tam said...

I could not have said it any better :) We love you so much, Mom!!!