1.21.2011

TGI Friday afternoon

You know yesterday when I said hot chocolate can cure anything? Well, it doesn't cure ear infections. When I picked Kylee up yesterday from school she just looked sad. She ran to me and dramatically declared, "Mommy I missed you so!" Which is always fun to hear, but ususally Kylee loves being at school so I knew something was up. As soon as she hugged me I realized she was running a fever. I quickly secured her a doctor's appointment that afternoon.


We had to pick Kael up early from school to make it to the appointment and he was psyched. He came out all smiles and said, "Guess what, Mom? A voice came over the loudspeaker in our room and said 'Kael Patterson to the office please'- can you believe they called my name?!" I forget what a big deal it is to get your name called out over the loudspeaker in elementary school. I think he felt a little famous.

So we got Kylee some antibiotics and she napped on and off all afternoon which made her wake up uncharacteristically early this morning. When Kent was leaving for work he said, "Bye Kylee I hope you feel better today!" and she smiled with bright eyes and said, "Thank you, Daddy- I'm actually feeling better already!" Kent and I agree that Kylee is the Best Sick Person Ever. She is never grumpy or anything when she's sick.


Since we were up early we decided to make some muffins. I am totally loving Fiber 1 blueberry muffins right now. We always make them with applesauce and egg whites so they're decently healthy. Unless you eat 4 of them like Kael does. I am dreading our grocery bill when he's a teenager. It boggles my mind how much he can already eat as a 5 year old!


I started the dishwasher after breakfast and instantly heard a loud rush of water somewhere. Not good. It was coming from the pipe under our sink and it was literally GUSHING water everywhere. This is not how my Friday morning was supposed to start!!! Luckily the plumber was available to come out and got it taken care of quickly.


So that's why this post is titled TGI Friday afternoon. Not just Friday. Because it was Friday when Kylee was up at 5:30 with a fever and it was Friday when water was leaking all over my kitchen. But now it is Friday afternoon and it is one of my babysitting kid's birthdays. Kylee and I baked her a double-layer funfetti cake complete with heart sprinkles (I was super excited to use my new cake pedastal- see below), blew up some balloons, hung birthday signs and now it officially feels like a Friday should.


When all the kids were here after school we had such a fun "birthday party". One of my boys swore it was the best cake he had ever eaten! Kudos to Kylee. She is such a good little baker. My girls had been begging me to let them drink coffee (sometimes during the winter when I'm so cold I make a pot of coffee for myself in the afternoon while the kids are snacking and they want some too!) and I asked their mom if it would be OK for the party if I made them some decaf coffee drinks. So we had some Caramel Macchiato's, (complete with whipped cream and chocolate drizzle- if you're gonna go, go all out, right?) with our birthday cake this afternoon. YUM! Birthdays are fun for little kids so I love to make a big deal out of their special day!



What I'm into today: Fiber 1 blueberry muffins and my 6-in-1 cake pedastal, trifle bowl, punch bowl, chip and dip server, relish tray and pie plate! You can kind of see it (with remants of our cake) behind the coffee mugs. Is it ok to admit that half the reason I wanted to bake a cake today was so I could FINALLY use this 6-in-1 thing that I had gotten for Christmas?!

No comments: