6.03.2017

Day in the life

I'm always interested in how other people spend their days.  Thought I would share how one of our first days of summer went.

I wake up at 5:30.  I never set an alarm, but I am an early riser.  Kent's at the gym.

I read my devotional then go downstairs for my usual one and a half cups of black coffee. When Kent gets home, I go for a run.  Once I'm home, Kael and Kylee are waking up just as I get done showering.  They hop in the car in their pajamas and we drive to Dunkin' because it's National Donut Day.  We get home, Kent heads to work then Kase wakes up around 7:30. I start some laundry.

By 8:00 everyone is dressed and ready for the day.  Kael and I go outside to play catch with a football for awhile.  Then my mom comes to stay with Kylee and Kase so I can take Kael to the dentist to fix the tooth he chipped the other day when he fell at school.

It's a pretty quick fix so we head home to bake cupcakes.  Kael has been asking to have a cupcake stand and wanted to  make four different kinds of cupcakes to sell.  That was just a little ambitious for me so we agreed on two different kinds. Kylee goes to play at a friend's house while the boys and I get baking.  By 10:00 we have our cupcake stand up and running in our driveway. Several neighbors and family stop by; Kylee and her friend come back to help makes signs to advertise.  It is a successful morning.  Kael decides to split the money he earned with Kylee and Kase and also decides to put some in his college fund.  So sweet.

We decide to call it a day on the cupcake stand and come in for lunch.  While I'm fixing a gourmet meal of peanut butter and jellies, the kids dust their rooms and do a few other odd jobs.  After lunch I quickly vacuum the house then we're off to the pool!

We plan to meet up with friends there.  The pool is busy but my kids are confident swimmers so I just watch them go off the diving boards and help Kase into a tube at the lazy river and am otherwise available to chat with my friend and enjoy the sunshine! I let them buy a snack at the concession stand with their cupcake money, which is a total treat for them.  I never encourage (let) them spend (waste) their pool time waiting in a concession line and also almost never let them spend their money on junk food, so they know it's a special day.  We spend a good few hours at the pool and everyone comes home tired and happy.

The kids have a little quiet time in their rooms while I bake some monster cookie bars for Kent's upcoming fishing trip.  He gets home from work earlier than usual after a good, busy day.  He mows the lawn, the kids and I prep homemade pizzas which Kent puts on the grill when he's finished mowing.  After we eat, we stop by my parents' house to give my dad an early Father's Day gift (a Yeti cooler that he can use on the fishing trip) and Kent drops off all of his stuff for the trip to load in my dad's suburban.

We're home by 7:00 and everyone showers up to call it a night- pretty early by our summer standards but Kent's leaving at 4:00 in the morning and everyone was tired.  We spend some time relaxing together, watching America's Got Talent before heading to bed.  

It was a full, happy day! How's your summer going?

No comments: