4.13.2017

Happy birthday, Kael!



How is it possible that Kael is twelve?! Nearly a teenager! Physically he's growing up so much- he loves to arm wrestle and legitimately beats me every time (he doesn't beat Kent yet, though!)  His latest favorite thing to do is pick me up and lift me over his shoulders.

My first born.  He has the biggest heart and is a friend to everyone.  To those people who are close to him, he is as loyal as they come. Here are a few stories and thoughts about Kael.

He's doing better in middle school than I ever could have imagined or hoped for.  Homework is stressful, friends can be mean, but you guys- Kael handles it all so very well.  He manages his time at school- trying to get as much work done as he can there because he's often busy with sports and church in the evenings.  He goes in early for help whenever he needs to and is happy to tell me about his day when he gets home from school.  I love that he shares so much with me.

Kael always tells the truth.  I hope he never loses that.  Not only does he tell the whole truth- he's so very honest and open with me.  I trust him to do the right thing and he even tells me when his friends haven't made some very good choices.

Kael's getting more involved in church- he enjoyed the volunteer day they had a few months ago and loves going to the youth group every Wednesday night. The other day, his youth group was asked to bring in coins to donate.  Kael grabbed his piggy bank, took a few coins out and said, "How about $1.25, Mom? I don't really have a lot in here." We had a short conversation about how even if his piggy  bank isn't super full now, he'll certainly be getting gifts of money for his birthday, and even if he didn't, we're fortunate to have more than enough.  We always have enough for what we need and some people don't. Often, I feel like my little "speeches" are wasted breath.  Not this time. I turned around and Kael was completely emptying out his piggy bank, donating every last cent out of his piggy bank.

Kael wants to bake Mother's Day cupcakes as a surprise for me (I overheard him telling this to my mom). He was so excited as he told her how he just knew I would love them. He loves to make people happy and he loves to bake.  He and I have had a lot of fun together baking cupcakes lately for all the birthday celebrations.

Kael's growing up. He used to ask me to shut his closet door every night when I tucked him in.  He didn't like falling asleep with it open.  Last night I got home after he was already in bed so I walked in his room to tell him goodnight.  I found him already sleeping, with the closet door wide open.  It doesn't bother him anymore.

Kael told me once that he wished there was a phone system in heaven so he could at least call and talk to Mamo.  This both breaks my heart and makes me smile.  He has such a special connection with the older generation- a trait so unique to Kael.

Kael is competitive and loves to play sports.  But winning or losing never makes or breaks his day. I just love that about him.

Kael is always, always thankful.  My carpool friend tells me Kael still says thank you for the ride every single morning even this far into the school year.  I love that.

Kael walked in the door yesterday with a handful of dandelions.  "I was waiting at school for the other kids to come out, so I picked these for you." I will never, ever turn down a dandelion bouquet from my kids. It was so thoughtful of him to carry them all the way home from middle school for me.

Kael loves babies.  He begs to hold his baby cousin during church. He plays with the neighborhood babies and toddlers so well.  There's nothing cuter than seeing almost-teenage Kael playing peek-a-boo with Berkley.

Kael is just in such a good spot right now.  I love, LOVE twelve year old Kael so very much.  Every year that passes I find myself holding on tighter to the hugs from him.  I find myself saying to him, "Stay, just stay. Exactly how you are, right now." Of course he'll keep growing and I'll love thirteen year old Kael just as much as twelve year old Kael, but I sure do want to freeze time. Happy birthday, Kael! We love you!

No comments: