6.03.2014

Kael update

The combination of the swelling in his ear, high fever, swelling in the lymph node in his leg, and the fact that all of that happened while on antibiotic was enough for our doctor to send us downtown to the hospital.

Kael was concerned about having to have more blood work done. This is at least the fifth time he's had blood drawn in the last couple months and while he dreads it, he always does just fine. This time, though, the IV in his arm is really bothering him.

He's getting good use out of the in- room Wii and we've already watched Monsters University twice. His spirits are better than mine would be in his situation. He had a tough time sleeping last night with the tubes hooked up to him. 

I held back tears as I watched him struggle to get comfortable, only to have his fever spike again.

I'm anxious and hopeful for today. One nurse mentioned that the swelling looked a little better to her this morning and I find myself desperately clinging to any bit of good news like that. 

The labs yesterday showed nothing notable so our doctor mentioned we might do more blood work today and have some of it sent to Mayo for further testing. And I'm sure all of you reading this are wondering, "Ok, so what is it? What does he have?"

Me too. The doctor yesterday said the two paths they are mainly looking at are 1) something under the "rheumatological umbrella" (remember we recently saw a rheumatologist in Iowa City) or 2) something with infectious disease and/or  3) something else. 

So. We wait. Kael is being such a tough guy. When the fever breaks, he's his usual joking, smiley self and when the fever hits, he hangs in there the best he can. 

I can't say enough about the amazing network of family and friends we have. People who I haven't talked to for ages are sending me the most thoughtful texts and words of encouragement. You guys are the best. 

The care Kael is receiving is wonderful and I promise to update as we know anything. 

A big thank you to our parents who have helped out with Kase and Kylee and who have helped to brighten Kael's room and bring us food. 

I have no idea what's ahead but we are just taking this day by day. I'm ready to have my Kael back and get home ad start enjoying summer! 

No comments: