7.27.2013

Triathlon!

What beautiful weather we woke up to this morning.  Kael was up early and appeared to be a perfect mix of excited and anxious for his triathlon.  We both knew it was going to be a great day.

What an event! Over 250 kids participated in the triathlon this morning so the sports complex was abuzz with participants and spectators.  Kael had quite a crowd there cheering him on- how amazing to see all the support he has.  Thanks to everyone who came out!

Once we checked in and got everything set up, there was a fair amount of time to kill.  Luckily Kael was placed next to a kid he knew from school, and they had fun hanging out while they waited.  It was chilly, but Kael didn't seem to mind.  I watched him line up, my nerves kicking in.  He hadn't really practiced the swim portion of it, and with the cool temps...I was just hoping he got through the swimming because I knew he felt confident in the biking and running.

I waited anxiously, then I saw Kael from afar, getting out of the water.  He started jogging down the path towards where I was standing and as soon as I had clear view of him, I could see the HUGEST smile on his face.  He looked like he was having the time of his life.  Is there any greater joy as a parent than getting to see that extreme happiness on your kids face?

We made it through the transition (the trickiest part of the whole thing, in my opinion) and off he took on his bike.  I know he had several cheerleaders along that route to help keep him speeding along.  Back for the final transition and then he started running- his strongest leg for sure.  I'm all but running beside him, cheering him on when he realizes that a kid in front of him had stopped for a water break.  Kael turns around to go back to the water stop for a quick drink.  Ahhh!! At that point I got all Triathlon Mom on him and said, "No!!! You're not thirsty! Goooooo!!! Keep running!!!!!!"  And man, did he ever.  He finished that last eighth of a mile faster than I have ever seen him run and he burst through that balloon finish a total champion, in my book.  Kael ran his heart out you guys.

Bagels, bananas, water, a massage, family, friends and hugs were all waiting for him when he finished.  I couldn't stop squeezing him.  He'd been done for approximately five minutes when he asked, "Mom, can we go home now? I'm ready for the birthday party."  Kael had just finished a triathlon and was more concerned about missing his buddy's birthday party than with how he had placed.  I just love that about him.

We headed home and soon a fellow triathlete/training buddy/neighbor/one of my besties kids stopped by to congratulate Kael.  "I'm totally going to do it again next summer, are you Kael? You should.  You're really good. " she said, as my heart melted.  Kael replied with a cool, "Maybe.  Thanks Megan. You were really good too."

I don't think Kael even realized how well he had done.  I asked him later why he only said "maybe" about doing it again next year.  He admitted, "Mom, it made me really tired."  Truth.

I don't think the official results are in yet and honestly I don't even know if I'll check.  The unofficial results showed that Kael was at least in the top ten (and was thisclose to cracking the top five) for his group and for a kid who has been sick all week, for a kid who has never really taken swimming lessons to learn the appropriate strokes, for a kid who gets easily overwhelmed in crowded social situations, and for a kid who didn't have the advantages of a "racing" bike, BodyGlide, and any/all other triathlon things that I'm clueless about....he KILLED it.  He gave it his all and it showed.












We are so proud of you Kael!!!

No comments: