2.26.2013

On community

It's that time of the year again: parent teacher conferences. I am always pretty close with Kael's teachers and usually have a pretty good understanding of how things are going with Kael since I am pretty involved and have had the opportunity to volunteer in his classroom every year. But it's still nice to go in and hear what the teacher has to say about his progress.

Kael got to come along to conferences this time and I could tell he was nervous. It was really cute, actually. I know he was anxious to have to tell us what areas he thought he "needed to work on". But as he sat there and showed us his Power Point presentation I could see his shy smile and I hoped he felt as proud of himself as Kent and I do.

The truth is, there are things that are hard for Kael that are always going to be hard for Kael. Namely, reading comprehension and staying focused without getting distracted in the classroom.  But like any kid, there are things that Kael will always be great at. His memory serves him well in areas like mental math and spelling.

But Kael's report card isn't really what matters to me. What matters most to me is the amazing sense of community we feel at Ashland Ridge.  As Kael walks down the hallways he's always waving to kids, and more importantly, the kids are waving back and saying, "Hi Kael!" At recess, Kael reports that the girls like chasing him and playing Cops and Robbers, and that he often plays football with a group of boys.  He also told me the other day with a super shy smile, "Mom, Averi thinks I have the softest hair ever." It's true.  Kael has the thickest, softest hair ever.  Evidently Averi noticed and couldn't help but touch it. :) Also the other day, a neighbor girl who is in Kael's class came down and rang the doorbell asking if Kael could go play at the park with her.  He's turning into quite the little ladie's man.

As I watch Kael at recess out our back window, I see kids giving him high fives in line while waiting to go inside.  I am friends with several of the teachers at Ashland Ridge and know there are people looking out for Kael.  The other day when a kid told Kael he had to be the referee if he wanted to play football, Kael ran into one of my friends who promptly marched Kael right back to the football field and told the kids that Kael was going to be on this team and he was not going to be the referee.

I see Kael's projects hanging in the hallways of the school and I can tell he's trying his best.  Working his hardest.  He has made leaps and bounds in the area of handwriting because I know he wants to be proud of the work others see.

Last night his teacher said, "Kael is just such a nice kid.  Just really a good kid, Laura.  And I can't say that about everyone. He's so sweet."

I'm awfully proud of my sweet seven year old. And I'm so happy with where he is.

1 comment:

GMA CINDY said...

AMEN!!! WE LOVE HIM SOOOO MUCH!!