10.20.2011

Thankful Thursday

I'm so thankful Kael's IEP dismissal meeting went well on Tuesday.  All his teachers had wonderful things to say about him.  I was hesitant to let him be dismissed from his IEP, but our AEA coordinator said, "I've been reviewing all the data we collected for Kael and not only does he not really qualify anymore, he's actually not even close." His gen ed teacher also reported that several kids often approach Kael to be their partner during group work and that Kael is a well-liked kid in the classroom.  What parent wouldn't want to hear that? Even though the IEP door has shut for Kael I'm confident there are other avenues we can explore to ensure he doesn't "fall through the cracks." He's going to start a social group with his guidance counselor and I'm keeping a couple other ideas in my back pocket should he ever start struggling. But in the meantime, I feel content that this chapter in his life has successfully come to a close. I continue to be impressed every day with how much he learns and more importantly, how well he learns to cope with things that could be difficult for him.  Autism never has and never will define Kael, and releasing him from his IEP is further proof of this.

I'm thankful that today started off better than yesterday.  Half of us are sick and we completely ran out of Kleenexes in the house.  Also, somehow I let us get down to (between 3 bathrooms, mind you) only a half roll of toilet paper. That's just not a fun way to start a morning.  Kylee has been sick for a full week now and I haven't been feeling so hot myself.  Crossing my fingers Kael doesn't get it.  Kent won't because Kent never gets sick.  Another thing to be thankful for. :)

I'm thankful for an acquaintence who unexpectedly dropped by yesterday afternoon with a huge bag full of clothes that happened to be in Kael's size and in wonderful condition.  We're not above hand me downs.  Her kind gesture made me feel like I should do more nice things for other people.  Not just people I'm close with, but even people I don't know that well.  Pay it forward, you know?

I'm thankful our fireplace.  We run that thing every night from October through March and I love, love, love it.  So cozy.

I'm so thankful for my mom.  Do you remember a picture I showed you months ago of my disorganized/half-broken computer desk?  We finally kicked it to the curb this weekend and yesterday my mom came over armed with organizational tubs and labels.  We've spent the last two days going through everything from the kids' baby clothes to kids school papers and file folders.  And let me tell you, man does it feel good to know where everything is! Not to mention how pleased I am that I can actually walk through my laundry/storage room without tripping on random things that never made their way into the proper tubs.  It's a project I never would have tackled by myself and I was so very thankful to have my mom come help out.  Plus, she's just good company and I really enjoyed spending the last couple days with her. :)

I'm really thankful for all the wonderful family and friends we have who come out to support my kids sports (even as the weather gets chillier!!).  We have had quite the cheering section at the soccer games lately- high school friends, in-laws, cousins, grandparents....Kael and Kylee love it! We are so blessed.

Hope you're finding lots to be thankful for!






No comments: