7.12.2011

Better than me: forgive and forget

Today it felt like it was a hundred and fifteen degrees out. I didn't even have the energy to go to the pool with the kids so we decided to set up the slip 'n slide in the backyard. We hadn't been out there two minutes and the kids started arguing about who would be the person to say, "Ready, set go!" (We have one of those double slip 'n slides with body boards for racing.)

I tried to let them work through it. I tried a few gentle reminders of a book we'd recently read together about how to be a good friend, how to take turns, etc. I tried to not let the arguing ruin our afternoon but it totally did. I have zero tolerance for arguing about dumb stuff and my kids know it.

It wasn't pretty. I got upset, Kylee started crying, Kael stuck his tongue out at me and I knew we had reached the point of no return. No matter how much I tried to fix it, we were all crabby and the slip 'n slide was just not going to be fun anymore. You just can't fake fun, you know?

So, we went inside after having been outside barely long enough to make the sunscreen we had applied worthwhile. "What now?" I wondered.


I walked into Kael's room in an attempt to restore peace. He looked at me and reached for a piece of candy from his SummerFest candy bucket. Immediately I thought, "Yeah right! Like I'm going to let you have candy after the way you just treated me and your sister! " I am guilty of letting all thoughts in my head become words but for some reason, I didn't actually say that out loud to him.

His face softened, "Mom, if I give you some of my candy, will ya feel better? I'm sorry for what I did and if you don't feel like eating your candy now I'll just put it by your bed and you can have it in case you get hungry later."

Thank goodness I hadn't chewed him out for reaching for a piece of candy. After I quick made a mental note to stop letting my thoughts turn into words so quickly, I relaxed, proud that we are raising such a good-hearted kid. He wasn't going to let a silly argument get him down and ruin his afternoon, which is more than I can say for myself. He was ready and willing to make amends and move forward. What an admirable attitude.

No comments: