5.10.2011

Happiness Project

Lighten Up: Today it hit the 80s and this mama was not prepared to evidently skip spring this year. Oh well, we jumped right into summer mode and busted out all of the water guns Kael had gotten for his birthday. Each of us was armed with a Super Soaker, prepared for battle. I was the only one not in a swimsuit as I was not really anticipating being an active part of the battle. It's just that we had four new water guns and there are four of us, so I felt like I had to at least hold a water gun. As I was explaining to the kids, "Please don't shoot at Mommy's clothes; if you must shoot my feet/legs that's completely fine, but-" I was cut off mid-sentence by a blast to my fully clothed mid-section. You're thinking it was Kael or Kylee. Wrong. It was Kent. And I was M-A-D.

Through clenched teeth I asked him how he expected the kids to follow the rules when he was clearly unwilling to do so. I rattled off a lengthy, huffy explanation of how very wrong he was and in the middle of all my ranting, I knew, I just knew I should drop it, smile and have a carefree, "oh well, I'm wet now, so might as well just get wetter" attitude but I just couldn't.

And with that I managed to squash all the fun out of our first family water gun fight of the season. I turned a perfectly joyful evening into a pouty one and everyone's mood soon reflected mine. Why couldn't I have just laughed it off? It's not like I was in nice clothes or it's not like I had to be somewhere soon and didn't have time to change clothes. I vow to lighten up- especially with summer upon us! There is too much fun to be had for me to be so serious all the time.

Kent let me overreact and said nothing. He just listened and then even said, "I'm sorry, Laura. I really am. I was just messing around and didn't realize you'd be so upset if you got a little wet." Oh how I love him. He gets me.

1 comment:

Missy... said...

Oh man, Laura, I think I could have written this exact same post. thanks for the reminder!