8.09.2014

Birthday girl

Kylee turned seven today!

She was particularly excited for her birthday this year. I was worried she had high expectations but when I questioned her about gift ideas, her responses were simple and thoughtful. I then wondered how she wanted to celebrate- anticipating perhaps some grandiose plans. She surprised me by requesting a small party with her friends and she didn't even want a cake.

I shouldn't be surprised that Kylee already "gets" it.  She's already figured out that a birthday isn't about the presents or the party. It's about spending time with the people she loves and it's about celebrating her. 

Before her party, Kylee and I found ourselves with a little extra time before guests started arriving.  So I asked if she wanted me to paint her toenails. She replied, "It's ok. I'm already pretty enough."  

And that's Kylee, in a nutshell.  She's confident but she's not flashy about it.  She's happy with what she has and rarely needs or asks for anything more.  She is a giver to.the.core. She's something special, this one.  Sandwiched between two brothers, I couldn't have been happier to give her the attention she deserves today!

Here are a few pictures of our celebrations, starting in Collins with Kent's family last night.

She couldn't have been happier about her candy necklace.  It's the little things. 



August birthday group hug.  Ha! And so many candles!!







My parents very graciously agreed to us having Kylee's "Outdoor Party" at their house.  They have the perfect place for it! We spent the morning over there setting things up and helping mow and trim.  We kept it super simple- the girls painted little wooden birdhouses, had a cute trail mix bar, did a scavenger hunt and roasted s'mores.  (We even put a candle in a big marshmallow so we could sing Happy Birthday to Kylee!) The friends she invited were just a wonderful group of girls and I think everyone had a great time.





After the party, we came home, cleaned up, waited for Kael to get home from a friend's party, then we headed back to my parents' house to celebrate with them.  A perfect end to the evening!




Back home she played with her new things for awhile then carefully tucked her two dolls onto her lap and turned on her new desk lamp so I could read with her.  The joy was just radiating from her and she said, "Mom, isn't this great?"  I looked up from the book and felt myself getting a little choked up.  Partly because of the breathtakingly beautiful young lady sitting in front of me and partly because I found myself wishing, for her, that she is forever as happy as she was in that moment.  I love her so much.  Happy birthday, Kylee Kay!!!

No comments: