5.13.2011

Friday Fun

Kael's teacher e-mailed me the other day and her e-mail started off like this, "Ok crafty lady...." and proceeded to ask my advice on a project she and her daughter were going to do. Me, crafty? What a compliment. I just never considered myself to be crafty. I do, however, know a few crafty people who don't mind me borrowing their ideas. I got this one from my friend Missy's blog. (she is truly a crafty lady!) I had seen the idea for these silhouettes quite awhile ago and knew they would be the perfect gift for Mother's Day. I whipped up 3 copies (Mom, mother-in-law, and of course I had to have a copy for myself, too) in almost no time at all. Adorable!












My cake lady (aka my sister Tammy) was back in town last weekend and we decided it was the perfect time of year to make a Tulip Cake for my mom's birthday. Here's how it went down. I baked the cake the day before and took great care to get it out of the 9 x 13" pan so we could decorate it. It broke right in half. Ugghhh. We, ok, Tammy totally salvaged it and I think it turned out pretty well!







Happy Birthday Ama!







We have had a bunch of friends/family have babies lately and I'm always on the lookout for cute and fun baby gifts. One day I was at Target when I found out that one of the babies had just arrived and I wanted to pick up a gift right then and there. Nothing was striking me in the baby aisle so I threw together a quick "New Mommy Survival Kit". It consisted of a Starbucks gift card, a sleep mask with Sleeping Beauty printed on it, some Godiva chocolates, nail polish and some calming lavendar lotion. I also picked up a little orange Rock Star outfit for the baby (I knew Kael would approve- the gift was for his teacher) and some Hello Kitty chapsticks for the new big sister. I have since given a similar New Mommy Survival gift a couple more times, filling it with stuff that matches the new mom's personality. Why is it so much more fun shopping for other people?


I am in L-O-V-E with this
Philadelphia Strawberry Fields No Bake Cheesecake. I made it several times last summer and have already made it once so far this year. I was telling Kent what went in it, really emphasizing the Reduced Fat Cream Cheese, Cool Whip Lite, , and fresh strawberries. He promptly replied, "Well it still has butter and sugar in it so it's really not that healthy, Laura". He might have been right but that didn't stop me from eating a big piece of it for breakfast with my morning coffee. Heavenly.





Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Missy... said...

Awww...your silhouettes turned out awesome, Laura! Good work!

And, I'm totally bookmarking the cheesecake recipe. It sounds heavenly!