2.15.2011

Valentine's Day

I had so much fun with Valentine's Day this year. We made some fun crafts for the kids' teachers. Thanks to the dollar bin at Target we made gifts for four teachers for less than five bucks! I volunteered at Kael's Valentine's Party yesterday which I am so glad to be able to do. A room full of kindergarten kids all sugared up is never a dull place to be!



The highlights of the party for Kael were this cupcake topped with mountains of frosting, and being the first one to get a Bingo. :)

Here's Kylee making heart-shaped Goober jelly (for those of you not familiar- because I wasn't until very recently- that's the stuff where peanut butter and jelly come all swirled together in a jar). What's not to love about that?




Another reason Valentine's Day was extra fun this year was because it's one of my babysitting kids birthday's. I always like to do something fun for birthdays but this year got a little hectic. I ran to Hy-Vee hoping for something cute and I was SO pleased to find a lady standing right in the front of the store next to a huge sign that said, "Have me personalize your Valentine cake!" so I asked her if she had a little heart shaped cookie cake and had her write Happy Birthday on it. Sure enough she pulls out a freshly baked cookie, write on it with some frosting and in five minutes and about five bucks later I walked out with an adorable cake for the birthday girl. Did I mention I LOVE a good deal?!



And can you believe my good luck kept on going as I walked out the door, the Starbucks gal was handing out free samples! As I lifted the cute little cup to my lips I said, "What kind is this?" and she said, "Peppermint Mocha". Oops. My good luck had run out. I really really can't stand anything minty. Since I had already started to take a drink I did was any logical girl would do. I said, "Yum, thanks!" then as I walked the rest of the way out I licked the chocolate drizzle and whipped cream off the top and dumped the rest in the trash (at the gas station! I didn't want to dump it in view of the Starbucks girl!).

Later Kael and Kylee opened some gifts from us. We don't really do big gifts but it's fun to have something for them to unwrap. Here's a few things we got Kylee. And yes, that is a heart shaped cutter for PB & J's. For Kael we got a Cars umbrella and a game.



Kylee, after reading a Fancy Nancy book about getting glasses, has been begging me to take her to the eye doctor as she is just certain she must need glasses too. I am hoping these funny glasses buy me some time until she realizes they're not the real deal.



Kent and I promised to not get each other gifts so naturally I got him these boxers that say "Caution: Contents are Hot". He's such a good sport. :)


It's Valentine's Day. Wine is mandatory. :) Kent and I enjoyed these chocolate covered strawberries and raspberries in front of the fireplace after we had tucked the kids in. Kent I am so happy you will be my Valentine for the rest of my life!


I hope that you all spent your Valentine's Day with those who make you feel the most loved.

No comments: